Single Story Extension: Stamford
Extensions in this area are very popular and provides a house transformation at a surprisingly little cost.
This Case study will take you through one of our projects.
It will show the stages and time we take on a project this size. All projects come with their problems but its how we solve them that make them a part of a project than a hold up or a nightmare situation for us and the client.
This project had three issues
- Weather. Most will remember that 2012 summer wasn't the sunniest but a very wet one. We didn't let this dampen our spirits though and it only held up a couple of hours a day as we didn't want the brickwork spoilt.
- Footings. Usually we dig down a meter from existing and this is more than sufficient to please the most stern Building Inspector but on inspection it was discovered that the area was built on a old brick quarry with poor ground. We ended up digging 1800mm down. The same amount as a 3 story building.
- Access. Being in a new estate that was built up we had no access to the back garden apart from a path that went out the back and through the parking area under an archway to main road. This may of held us up slightly but it just meant more manpower to keep up the schedule.
We are using this Case Study to show that even with hold ups such as these we can still provide an excellent build on time and within a budget.
In this case the project didn't require planning permission. Single story extensions can often be built without having to get your council permission. If semi-detached or terraced house you can build out to 3m in your garden and detached houses can build up to 4m out.
Currently the government has relaxed laws to get planning permission on all extensions, so there has never been a better time to get your plans drawn up.
Even with little access we still have equipment for all circumstances so not to hold up the works schedule.
After week 2.
- Despite heavy downpours we still managed to get up to roof plate. Allowing one dry afternoon to start the roof structure.
Once watertight (minus the door and window)
- We added 75mm Celotex insulation.
- 75mm of Screed (Sand and Cement mixture)
- The first fix of the electrics was installed.
We usually add the doors and windows before screeding but as we were reusing the door and window and the house was occupied (including children) we did it first and boarded the openings for the one night.
- Boarded and plastered out
- Second fix electrics was installed
Despite hold ups and little access we still kept our scedule and we are very pleased with the results of the extension. We never leave a project that we are not proud to put our name to.
Thanks to Allison & James for their patients and hospitality towards the Platinum Builds team.
"Builders Spalding" "Builders" "Building Contractors" "Building Contractors Spalding" "Builders in this area" "House Builder" "House Builder Spalding" "Extension Builder"
- Mark out footings.
- Save slabs to relay patio area at the end of the project.
- Door and window will be reused on the build. As this is a new building estate the door and windows are only a few years old.
- Manhole will have to a new position to allow access once built.
- As seen in the photo there's a outside tap, we will move this to the front of the extension.
After week one.
- Footings are complete. We went down 1800mm allowing future development should they decide to build up another story. This is a block and beam method. It's a fast and modern way on the tradition concrete floor. Later we will put 75mm insulation and a 75mm Screed on top to complete the floor and bring it up to D.P.C.
The following week.
- We added more supports to the roof structure.
- Built up the gables.
- Installed the two Velux roof windows.
- Tiled the roof
The following day.
- It was time for the dividing wall to come out.
- We took out the door and window, cut out the brick and block work for the lintel to sit on.
- After the lintel was installed we then installed the door and window securing the building and making it watertight.
- Laminate flooring and skirting. We took off all the skirting where flooring was laid and replaced it on top of the flooring because we feel this looks better and all the skirting would match in the existing and new part of the building.
It was then time to decorate.
Once decorating was complete it was time to clear out all our belonging and relay the patio area. A step wasn't suitable for the clients so we raised the patio area and had a graduate slope down the garden.
The garden has since been turfed.